In one of my favourite books “Anne of Green Gables“, the protagonist says on one point “I‘m so glad to live in a world where there are octobers“. It‘s true, isn‘t it? We are so lucky to have octobers or, as october is almost over now, autumn in general as one of the four seasons of the year. I know from myself that it‘s not always easy to appreciate the autumn as much as we maybe want to. The days are colder, darker and with a pandemic going on, it‘s sometimes hard to think positive.
Nevertheless, life has to go on. So I wrote a list of 8 things you can do in automn to (hopefully) stay positive. It‘s kind of a To-Do-List for me. Maybe you want to participate as well?
1. Firstly, collect leaves in all the colours you can find. Red, yellow, orange, green…Afterwards you can press them between some paper (an old newspaper for example) with some books on top. One to two days later, the leaves should be ready to be used as decoration, as a gift to someone, whatever you like to do with them. Autumn is the most colourful season I would say (yes I know, we can debate wheather it‘s autumn or spring) and I always pressed leaves with my family as a child, so why not start again this year?
2. Autumn is the season of pumkins! And of pumkin soup! I found over 350 recipes online and there are definitely more. Additionally, you can carve the pumkin for your Halloweenparty or just for fun. As a result you have a meal and the decoration, so two in one.
3. After that, if you have cooked the soup, why not start to learn how to make a perfect, beauteful and delicious hot chocolate. When you say now “Well that‘s easy, just mix milk and cacao powder together.“, yes, but that‘s only one way. There is hot chocolate with real chocolate, with marshmallows, with cinnamon, with whipped cream...sooo many options. And for our vegan friends or those who prefer plant-based milk: of course there is vegan hot chocolate!
A little assignment for november: Discover your own personnel hot chocolate and learn to prepare it :)
4. What else can you drink, especially in colder times? Exactly, tea! Take a blanket, take a book (maybe your favorite one or something completely new?) and have a good moment with a cup of tea. Believe me, having some time for yourself will fill you with new energy, at least in my case. You don‘t like tea? It can also be a coffee, a hot chocolate, etc.
5. The next activity is really easy (or not?). Take a walk in the nature and look for the most beauteful leaf on the ground. Enjoy the fresh air and if you‘ve found a leaf, give it to a person you meet or, in corona times, give it to somebody at your home or keep it for you. This point can be connected with number one ;)
6. Accept the challenge and do at least one puzzle.
7. Watch a movie that is taking place in autumn, for exemple “When Harry meets Sally“.
8. Write a real letter and send it by mail. Recieving a letter has become quite rare and, believe me, you make the day of someone. You can send your collected leaf(s) as well.
That‘s it. Maybe you found some inspiration for yourself.
If you are in quarantine or in a (part-)lockdown lat the moment like me: just try new things out, now you have time.
Have a nice day :)